a brief history of how it came to be
In the aftermath of World War II, fuel and steel were in short supply and therefore expensive. Man hours, on the contrary, were cheap and of course there was still wood in the forests - these circumstances lead to a short period in which it suddenly made sense to build smaller cargo vessels of wood and use the combination of sail and engine as propulsion.
Thus Activ was build at the Ring-Andersen shipyard in Svendborg, Denmark, on a 310.000,- DKK Marshall loan in 1951, and she is the last remainder of wooden cargo ships build in this epoch.
Activ was originally rigged as a ketch with a load capacity of 211 tonnes and a 174-HP engine, meaning it had only two masts and looked quite different from how we know it today. Our lovely skylights, for example, currently providing both daylight and starry skies, used to be hatches for loading cargo into what is now the saloon.
Thus Activ, which was back then called "Mona", sailed along the eastern coasts of Greenland from 1958 to 1963, as a supply vessel bringing provisions to the small settlements.
The first owner was R.P Sørensen, who named her "Mona". Formally it was bought by A.E. Sørensen in 1953, and then renamed "Svendborg". In 1964 it was sold to Einer Sørensen, who then proceeded to sail with cargo, while having his wife and kids living on board with him. Einer renamed the ship, once again, to its current name "Activ" and sailed with it until 1975.
The ship was then bought by German architect, Volkwin Marg, who re-rigged the ship into a topgallant schooner - adding the third mast and square sails on the foremast. Therefore Activ is now equipped with a traditional sailing rig closer related to ships build in the late 18th century, than the ones build at its time, but the new rig fits the hull as if it were meant to be.
Length over deck: 29,4 metres
Length over all: 42 metres
Beam: 7,0 metres
Draft: 2,95 metres
Engine: 316-HP Scania